Monday 5 April 2010

Peggy Sue Interview-Don't Panic


http://www.dontpaniconline.com/magazine/peggy-sue-interview


Brighton indie folk band Peggy Sue are about to embark on a European tour with the Archie Bronson Outfit. Last week Holly Eells managed to squeeze a few answers out of Rosa. Quizzing her on the growth of the band and also trying to put her on the spot about group dynamics. Rosa held her own and this was the outcome. Also do take advantage of a freeload the band made available a month ago on HERE. Their debut album Fossils and Other Phantoms is available now.



Who Is Peggy Sue?




Rosa: (Laughs) It’s kind of related to the Buddy Holly song, it was about a girl nick named after the song, but her name was Samantha? Which we named our band after, I know it’s very random



I went to your sold out gig Monday night at ‘Relentless Garage’ amongst all the other sweaty Betties in there, where you guys going to go from here?




Rosa: Well we are going on tour across Europe with Archie Bronson Outfit, who we love. Then we are coming back and playing the Royal Albert Hall, but downstairs and just around the country playing loads of shows. But we are not sure when our next big London gig is going to be. But we are pretty busy.



Did Archie Bronson contact you?




Rosa: I’m not really sure how it happened, I think we asked them and they literally said yes 10 minutes later!! That was exciting for us.



What do you take advantage of now you are becoming famous
?



Rosa: (Laughs) I don’t think we are kind of famous just yet. (Laughs) I don’t think I am and don’t feel I could take advantage just yet. It’s nice people are taking an interest in us and Katy and I used to say to each other we know we have made it somewhere, when we wouldn’t be petrified that people wouldn’t turn up!



You used to play in coffee shops?




Rosa: When we first started, we never indented to be in a band. We were at university and we did it just for fun, but people were taking us seriously. Then we were playing with serious acts and we realised we actually loved making music and didn’t think we were able to be great and we were! We weren’t that good at playing instruments!



You are now! You had the ukulele out, the drums and the acoustic guitar.




Rosa: We worked very hard!



Being two females in the band who gets the most attention and is there any jealously between you both?




Rosa: Wow, we have never been asked that before, that’s a good question. I think most people are cleverer enough not express their obvious preference and me and Katy have arguments about the smallest things, but we are like sisters so its everyday things. But on the whole it’s never an issue; however I will let you know though!



Who do you think is the strongest vocally?




Rosa: Oh god, I don’t know. I wouldn’t like to say because I could definitely say Katy as that would be the polite thing to say but she has an incredible voice. People can decide for themselves.



But who gets the highest harmony?




Rosa: We both write the songs, often one would have written the core melody and the other would sing the harmony and decide if it’s higher or lower. Literally we both have similar ranges and it’s become more similar from the time we spend together. Some people can’t tell the difference. Katy has an amazing voice and fortunately I have had a voice since school. But I hope she would say the same thing about me.



Fossils and Phantoms is due for release soon, why should we go out and splash the pennies?



Rosa: I feel I have to have a controversial answer on this one because all my other answers were not. It is a really good representation of what kind of music we are making currently and if you like us at all as a band already I think it will be interesting because it is a bit of a change and for people who don’t [Like us], it’s a good album. I don’t have any better reasons than that!



Obviously you’re heading on a European tour, what will you miss and not miss about England?




Rosa: Really looking forward to going all the different places like Berlin and France. The one thing I won’t miss is the weather!



All of your styles are not bad, where do you purchase your garments?




Rosa: A lot of clothes I buy are from second hand shops; pass me downs and a hat, which I love that’s my granddads. However I have a pair of trousers from Top Shop that I have been wearing a lot recently.



If your band goes down the drain, (which I hope it doesn’t) what’s your back up plan?




Rosa: I luckily got to finish my degree. Being a set designer and being more involved in art. But we would probably stay in involved in music.

No comments: